Monday, July 19, 2010

Frankfurter = Hot Dog

On Thursday, I went to Frankfurt. It was all right, but let's just say if I had to pick 4 cities in Germany to visit, Frankfurt wouldn't be one of them. Oh well, time for pictures:

This is the Holbein Pedestrian Bridge, which crosses the Main River. (Yes, they have a river in Germany called the Main River.)

Yeah, that's right: Pedestrian Bridge. Only for pedestrians. Or cyclists, I guess. But no cars, unless those cars can ascend a narrow staircase...

That building ahead is the Städel Collection, I guess. I didn't go inside.

And this here is the Museum for Communication (I translated that myself), home of...

CavalryBot!!!
This awesome and terrible sight is the last thing you will see before you die, after the inevitable Robot Revolution.

This guy looks like he's bragging. "I can shoot water out of my fingers. Can you?" Jerk.

Here's where I stopped for lunch.

I tried Frankfurt's famous Apple Wine. The Rick Steves book I have recommended I eat Frankfurter sausages with the wine. He said it would be a good complement.

So I ordered Frankfurter Grüne Soße mit 4/2 Eier und Salzkartoffeln. Not sure what it is, but it has Frankfurters.

Then it occurred to me that, in Frankfurt, the term "Frankfurter" does not necessarily refer to hot dogs. What I actually ordered was Frankfurter green sauce with 4 half eggs and boiled potatoes. Oh. But it did complement the wine.

This here is the Eiserner Steg Pedestrian Bridge.

I have no explanation for this picture. I don't know why there is randomly a painting of a man holding a church and a picture of a stork. The inscription reads "The Stork." Yes, what about the stork?

This is St. Bartholomew's Cathedral. Below are some pictures inside the cathedral.
This depicts the matyrdom of St. Bartholomew.
I think this is a baptismal font.

Okay, moving on:
Here's a picture of a fountain, accidentally taken at the same time some random kid was posing in front of it.

Another fountain. Although this one is more like a statue with a faucet attached at the bottom.

Here's St. Paul's Church. They were having a wedding there, so I couldn't go in.

Here's some Roman ruins.

These guys are die-hard Rome fans who are trying to rebuild the empire, one ruin at a time.

Actually, I have no idea what they're doing. Or why there's a stage here, or seats all around it.

These birds are fighting over someone's dropped ice cream cone. That poor little sparrow on the right keeps getting bullied away by the big pigeons.

No, there was really nothing German about that last picture. If anything, it was Italian, because I think it was gelato, not ice cream.

The Opera House.

See that skyscraper with the candy cane on top? It's called - wait for it - Main Tower. I paid €3.50 for a trip to the top. Here are the pictures I took:
The Commerzbank Building.
Waaay down there you can see St. Bartholomew's and St. Paul's. And the Eiserner Steg bridge.
The European Central Bank. In it's front yard you can see a blue € symbol.
See?
The Hauptbahnhof, and all the trains pulling in and out.
At the bottom of the pointy skyscraper is the Messe, a big convention center.
And these buildings are the Deutsche Bank towers.
Here's a close-up of the red-and-white striped pole on the top of the Main Tower.

After I finished in the Main Tower, I went back to the train station and came home. My next trip will be to Dresden, next weekend. Tchüs!

2 comments: